|Samuel Barlow boat 'Beatty' built in 1937, by WJ Yarwood and Sons.
New cabin painted by Mark Phelps and Chris Weston.
Built in 1937, by W.J.Yarwood & Sons, of Northwich, Cheshire, for the Samuel Barlow Coal Company Limited. Beatty left Northwich in November 1937 for final fitting out by Lees & Atkins at Polesworth.
Composite construction – Iron hull sides, Elm bottom. Originally fitted with a Petter single cylinder 12/14 hp semi-diesel engine. Currently powered by an Armstrong Siddeley 22 h.p. twin cylinder, air cooled diesel engine, fitted in 1955, believed to be one of the first of its type fitted in a narrow boat.
Worked for Barlows for 22 years carrying coal from the Midlands coalfields down the Grand Union and Oxford Canals, her steerers included Harry Monk, John Blunn and Ray White.
Sold to Jack Craddock of Wolverhampton in 1960 for conversion to an eight berth cruising boat. Timber cabin constructed by Waltons; fitted out by Jack Craddock at Brewood on the Shropshire Union Canal.
Bought by Martin Grundy in 1968. Used by the Grundy family since then for extensive cruising over most of the waterways system. Beatty won ‘Best Converted Narrowboat’ at Guildford National Rally in 1970.
The original timber boatman’s cabin was replaced in 1987 with a new steel cabin by David Harris at Coseley, near Wolverhampton. It has been refitted, using some of the old cabin furniture.
In early 2006 the boat was completely rebottomed, using opepe to replace the worn out elm. This also involved replacement of most of the keelson. This work was carried out by Malcolm Webster on Worsley Dry Dock. The original timber conversion has now been replaced with a replica steel cabin, retaining the lines and style of the 1960’s cabin. This work was carried out by Simon Wain of Brinklow Boat Services.
Many thanks to Nick Grundy for the pictures and history
Narrowboat Beatty website